I know that too much focus on the past is unhealthy (too much regret and disappointment there), but I do feel that it is important to remember certain events... such as this day eight years ago.

It is unnerving to think back on that day, and realize that the fear and uncertainty of what the future held at that time are still as fresh as they were on that Tuesday.

I remember sitting in my drama class (2nd period) as a junior in high school, and hearing something from someone about a couple of plans hitting the World Trade Center. At the time, I thought they just meant a couple of Cessnas. It wasn't until I got into chapel (went to a private Christian school... more on that in a future post) that I learned the truth.

I remember all 500 of us in that chapel getting on our knees in prayer. This was the only time in all my years of chapel, high school OR college (private Christian university... again, more on that in a future post) I have been on my knees to pray.

I remember all of us filing out to go to third period... in complete and total silence. Never had that happened before.

I remember thinking that China had finally attacked us and we were on the brink of World War III. I know, pretty ludicrous, but for a 16 year old that, at that time, watched FoxNews religiously, it was a very real thought. I also realize how incredibly naive it sounds I was back then... I've changed a lot since, I promise. More on that in a later post as well.

I remember all of the classes pretty much being canceled to watch the news.

I remember going to my 4th period (chorus) and the director turning off the TV. His thought process was that watching too much of the fear and danger would be unhealthy. Instead, we all merely sat and talked about what we were thinking and feeling for that 50 minutes. I've always been grateful to Mr. K for that... I feel it was the best thing I did that entire day.

I remember the images... the video... the headlines... all of it. As I'm sure the rest of you do.

Today, some have chosen to hold onto these images and feelings in order to manipulate others with that fear. Some have chosen to move on completely, only remembering in brief when they must.

I feel the correct place is in the middle. It is important to move on... but it is also important to never forget.

September 11th, 2001, whether you like it or not, are willing to admit it or not, changed the world forever. My generation probably lost its innocence on that day, and realized that there are actually people in this world who despise us... simply because we carry the citizenry of the United States. 9/11 brought with it a whirlwind of change, both good and bad.

The one thing, that never changes, though, is the Lord. I've had to be continually reminded of that over these last eight years:

that where there is fear, He brings peace;

where there is uncertainty, He brings comfort.

where there is anger, He brings joy.

where there is misery, He brings contentment.

where there is hatred, He brings love.

May you experience all He has to offer on this day of remembrance.

1 comments:

  1. Yeah, I remember it all well. Good reflections, especially about Mr. King turning off the TV; I appreciated that, too.

    Dee Travis

Post a Comment