I'm pretty sure it was some random Vanderbilt game... which translates to pathetic (at the time, anyway). However, the first REAL game I remember was a Tennessee vs. Vandy game in Nashville. I remember how PACKED the stadium was with orange... how loud the Pride of the Southland Marching Band was... how LOUD UT's fans were.

And I was SOLD.

Up to that point, I remember how much Dad had been trying to convert me to the Big Orange. Little did he know he only had to take me to a game ;)

And so, growing up, he and I would go to at least one if not two UT games a year. It was always a special time for me. Walking around Knoxville, going to the famous Sam and Andy's for lunch, then gametime. I remember the AMAZING road trips we took to follow the Vols. We went to Tuscaloosa for a thrashing of the Tide, and we also traveled to South Bend for a game against Notre Dame.

And then... the Titans came to town.

I was there for their first home game at what was then Adelphia Coliseum, something to the tune of a 1 or 2 point win over the Bengals.

From that point on, I was truly HOOKED on not just the Titans, but football itself. I began watching any and all football I could find, played Madden on my N64 constantly, and read every piece of news on the Titans I could get my hands on.

I'm still that way to this day. I've been through so many up and downs this team: from the Music City Miracle (yes, I was actually there), to the FIRST playoff loss against the Ravens. I was there the following year when we beat the Steelers on an Oscar-worthy flop by kicker Joe Nedney... and I was there when we were thrashed by the Browns on a blustery Sunday during one of the dark years. Most recently, I was there when we POUNDED the Steelers once again to claim home field advantage.

Football is special to me not only because of the competition, strategy, and passion, but because it's one thing that Dad and I totally connect on. I look forward to Sundays so much because it means I can go to Mom and Dad's turn on the game, and talk football with Dad for three hours.

We don't agree on everything, like most people, but we ALWAYS agree on football :)

And that's why it's so special to me.

What is something that almost always gives you the opportunity to connect with your parents (or someone very close to you)?

2 comments:

  1. I love football too, as you well know :0)

    And I have YET to be to anything but a high school game, and one random UK/Vandy game my first year of college.

    Must rectify this.

    Lora

  2. Good reflections, indeed. Football and baseball were usual discussion topics around my house, but more than anything, we talked about God, the movies, and politics. Probably in that order.

    Dee Travis

Post a Comment